How to Catch Blackfin Tuna | Florida Fishing
If you are looking for a new fishing adventure, you need to check out the blackfin tuna fishing off the Florida Gulf Coast. These fish offer some of the most exciting sport fishing in America, and there is plenty of opportunities to reel in monster catches!
In this blog - post, we will provide you with tips and tricks on how to be successful when fishing for blackfin tuna.
What is a Blackfin Tuna?
Blackfin tuna are a type of fish that can be found off the Florida Gulf Coast. They belong to the family scombridae which also includes mackerels, tunas, and bonitos.
The blackfin tuna can grow up to around 40 pounds or more with an average weight of 25 pounds. Their colors consist of a deep black on the back with a purple line and silvery-white with some yellow below. The blackfin tuna is a warm water fish typically in tropical waters like Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, and New Jersey nearshore areas.
Their diet consists of mostly bait fish and squid. They are found in the open water, where they can be caught on a variety of lures, including baitfish imitations, as well as vertical jigs and spoons.
Blackfin tuna offer some of the most exciting sport fishing in Florida. There are plenty of Blackfin tuna around for most of the year with the best time being the spring and fall.
Blackfin tuna are delicious to eat cooked lightly seared or raw such as sushi. They provide plenty of excitement for experienced anglers and novice fisherman alike, they fight hard, which makes them an excellent gamefish.
How to target blackfin Tuna
Tips on how to catch blackfin tuna
Here are some tips to help you be successful when fishing for blackfin tuna:
- Make sure your bait is alive and fresh.
- Use various trolling lures such as cedar plugs lipped plugs that dive to different depths and skirts, including various vertical jigs.
- Plan by reviewing tide charts and weather forecasts.
- The best time to fish for blackfin tuna in the west central region is the spring and fall, but they can be caught all year
Blackfin tuna are a great gamefish to have on the end of your fishing line. When you head out for full day tuna trip, make sure you bring plenty of sunscreen and snacks!
If you are looking for experienced blackfin tuna fishing captains in St. Petersburg, Florida, then look no further! Reel Coquina Fishing will have you catch your fill of fish on our fishing charter in St. Petersburg, Florida!
MORE FISHING TIPS FOR ST. PETERSBURG, FLORIDA
- Fishing Licenses and Permits in St Petersburg, Florida
- How to Prevent Sea Sickness while Fishing
- St Petersburg, Florida Deep Sea Fishing in the Winter
- Fishing for Grouper in Florida: Tips from a Charter Captain
- Fishing for Kingfish in Florida
- Find Your Hogfish Fix in St. Petersburg, Florida
- Florida Gulf Coast Fishing: Catch a Mahi-Mahi!
- How To Catch Snapper: The Thrills of Fishing Off Florida's Gulf Coast
- How to Catch Blackfin Tuna | Florida Fishing
- All About Shark Fishing on Florida's Gulf Coast
- Sailfish in the Gulf of Mexico: Everything You Need To Know
- How to catch amberjack fish in St. Petersburg, Florida
- How to Set Up Fishing Rod: A Beginners Guide
- The Paternoster Rig | AKA The Chicken Rig