A Guide to St Pete's Farmers Market
Looking for fresh produce and homemade goodies? Look no further than the St Pete Farmers Market in St Petersburg, Florida! This vibrant Market has something for everyone, from locally-grown fruits and vegetables to delicious baked goods and artisanal crafts.
This guide will tell you everything you need to know about the St Pete Farmers Market, including when it's open and what kinds of vendors you can expect to find there. So get ready to explore this charming local marketplace!
How to Attend Saturday Morning Market
The St Pete Farmers Market runs every Saturday from early October through May, rain or shine! It's located in the heart of downtown St Petersburg at 250 First Avenue North, and it runs from the hours of nine in the morning until two in the afternoon.
Vendors typically start packing up around noon, so if you want to snag the best produce, you'll need to get there early. But don't worry - even if you arrive closer to closing time, you'll still be able to find plenty of great items to take home with you!
- 2002 was the year that the Market opened.
- The Market is a non-profit and is not sponsored by an outside organization (e.g., the city, a merchants association, etc.).
- The Market is not only one of the top 20 markets in the country but also the largest farmers' market in the southeast US.
- Every Saturday, about 170 authorized vendors fill over 140 available spaces.
- On a typical Saturday, 10,000 people attend.
What you will find at the Market
You will find an assortment of vendors selling everything from fresh produce and seafood to handmade jewelry and art.
Here are some examples of what you might find:
- Fruits and vegetables from actual farmers
- Baked goods
- Jams and preserves
- Handmade soaps
- Specialty foods
- Lively music
- And more!
Looking for something specific? Be sure to ask a market vendor - they'll be happy to help you find what you need.
Tips for Visiting the Market
Here are a few tips to make the most of your visit to the St Pete Farmers Market:
While some vendors do accept credit cards, many only take cash. So it's always a good idea to bring some with you, just in case.
As we mentioned before, the best produce tends to go fast! So if you want to ensure you get your hands on the freshest fruits and vegetables, aim to arrive at the Market as close to opening time as possible.
Bring a reusable bag.
Help reduce waste and bring a reusable shopping bag to carry all your goodies in.
Wear comfortable shoes
You'll be doing a lot of walking at the Market, so make sure you wear comfortable shoes to walk in for long periods.
Know what you want to buy before you go so that you can make the most efficient use of your time at the Market.
Don't forget, the Market is dog friendly!
Health and Sustainability
The St Pete Farmers Market is committed to promoting healthy eating habits and sustainable living.
In addition to offering fresh, locally-grown produce, the Market also hosts educational events and workshops on gardening, cooking, and canning. So whether you're a seasoned green thumb or a total novice, you're sure to learn something new at the St. Pete Farmers Market!
The Market also participates in the SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) program, which offers financial assistance to low-income individuals and families who struggle to afford nutritious food.
An inside look
- The St Pete Saturday Morning Market is an inclusive community that draws in vendors from all around. In fact, since 2002, the Market has only declined by 1400 vendors.
- The Market is a major part of the local community, as other nearby retail businesses have attested.
- Every Saturday, an estimated $120,000 in sales are made by the 25+ vendors who used Saturday Morning Market as a springboard to jumpstart their careers in permanent retail locations.
- The committee also created a self-assessment model for vendors to find their greatest prospects. It divides the Market into three tiers, labeled as "bad," "fair," and "excellent," allowing vendors to improve their business model.
How do I get there?
The Market is located in the heart of downtown St Petersburg at 250 First Avenue North.
If you're coming from out of town, the closest airport is Tampa International Airport, about a 30-minute drive from the Market.
Several hotels and vacation rentals are also located within walking distance of the Market, so you can easily make a weekend out of it!
Where can I park?
There are several parking garages in the area at an additional cost of about $5, all within walking distance. Since you'll be going to the Market, you might as well explore the city's downtown area.
The St. Pete Saturday Market is the perfect place with easy access to spend a weekend morning. Whether you're looking for fresh produce, handmade goods, live music, or a fun day out. With something for everyone, this market experience is sure to make your next trip to St Petersburg an enjoyable one!