The Best Fishing Quotes of All Time with Reel Coquina Fishing Charters
Fishing is a popular pastime all over the world. People love to go out on the water and try to catch their dinner. Fishing can be a relaxing (even therapeutic) activity, or it can be quite exhilarating, depending on what kind of fishing you are doing. Fishing is also a great way to spend time with family and friends.
This blog post will look at some of the best fishing quotes of all time!
Iconic Quotes About Fishing
Over the years, many iconic things have been said about this beloved activity. They made it into t-shirts, bumper stickers, and social media. Here are just a few popular one-liners to start with:
- "A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work." - Unknown
- "Fishing is a passion that can never be fully explained." - Unknown
- "There's no such thing as a bad day when you're fishing." - John D. Williams
- "Fishing is the sport of drowning worms." - Unknown
- "When in doubt, fish!" - Bumper sticker
Witty & Wise Fishing Quotes
These witty and wise saying about fishing will both entertain you and make you think:
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." - Doug Larson
- "There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot." - Steven Wright
- "Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau
- "Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Unknown
- "There's two types of fisherman - those who fish for sport and those who fish for fish." - Unknown
- "Fishing seems to be the great occasion when all manner of contradictions reconcile themselves." - Iris Murdoch
Best Fishing Quotes About Love of Fishing (& Love of Life)
Fishing is often seen as a metaphor for life, and there are many quotes about life that have been said by fishermen (and women) over the years.
Quotes About Fishing as Life
Here are two beautiful quotes about fishing and life:
- "I love people who make me forget my troubles. I love fishing because it's one of those things you can do alone or with someone, and either way, it's delightful." - Unknown
- "The great trawler fleets sweep the seas and deliver their daily catch to tables worldwide, but they do more than that. They deliver hope, give life itself." - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Mesmerizing Fishing Quotes
These few quotes are simply mesmerizing! They capture the beauty and mystery that have fascinated humans for centuries:
- "Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers." - Herbert Hoover
- "There's certainly something in fishing that makes a man feel he is doing right; I can't explain it, but it's very pleasant." - Norman Maclean
- "The greatest attraction of a fishing trip is that it allows washing one's soul with pure air." - Hercules Courtenay
Quotes by Ernest Hemingway
Famous American writer Ernest Hemingway was one of the most passionate fishermen. He once said: "Fishing is a discipline in the equality of men - for all men are equal before fish." The story goes that once Ernest Hemingway was asked how he went about writing a novel. He replied: "You just sit down at the typewriter and bleed." Fishing was one of his great loves in life, next to writing, of course.
His most famous short story - The Old Man and the Sea - is about an aging Cuban fisherman who struggles to catch a giant marlin. It is a beautiful story about hope, determination, and the human spirit. "Fishing was more than fish to him. It was the great occasion when all men were equal," describes the author.
Here's the quote from The Old Man and the Sea that every fisherman should know:
"You did not kill the fish only to keep alive and to sell for food, he thought. You killed for pride and because you are a fisherman. You loved him when he was alive, and you loved him after. If you love him, it is not a sin to kill him. Or is it more?" - Ernest Hemingway
Fishing Quotes for Dad (and Mom)
Father's Day is the perfect time to show your dad how much you care, and what better way to do that than with a fishing quota? Here are some of our favorites:
- "A father is someone who can teach his son how to catch a fish, but also knows how to let him loose." - Unknown
- "The best way to teach your children about fishing is to take them out on the boat with you." - Unknown
- "If I can get my son to love fishing half as much as I do, then I will have done my job as a father." - Unknown
Funny Quotes About Fishing
Fish are certainly not known for their intelligence, and that lack of brainpower is often the source of much hilarity. If you need a good laugh, try one of these funny fishing quotes (and check out our post about fishing jokes):
- "The best way to catch a fish is to let him think he's escaping." - Unknown
- "Fishing is just like drinking - if you do it right, you'll eventually fall into it." - Unknown
- "Fishing is just like cheating on your wife. The big difference is that when you're done fishing, you have to throw the fish back." - Unknown
- "If you want to make a living from fishing, start with two boats." - Unknown
- "The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly." - Unknown
Fishing Quotes for Instagram and Facebook
Looking for the perfect fishing quote for your next Instagram or Facebook post? Look no further! Here are some of our favorites:
- "Fishing is more than just catching fish. It's about spending time with friends and family, and making memories that will last a lifetime." - Unknown
- "Tight lines, warm breezes, good friends, plenty of bait; it doesn't get any better!" - Unknown
- "Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it." - Harry Middleton.
- "I go fishing not to find myself but to lose myself." - Joseph Monninger
- The fishing was good; it was the bad catching." - A.K.
Best Fishing Proverbs
Many sayings about fishing have been passed down over the years from different cultures. These proverbs offer sage advice to all of us - not just those who love fishing. Here's one: "He who would catch fish must not mind getting wet." - Unknown
Another famous proverb has rather mysterious origins: "Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; teach him how to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime." Some say it's a Chinese proverb. Others attribute it to the Bible, yet you can't find it there if you try.
In slightly different wording, the oldest English-language use of this proverb is found in Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie's novel, Mrs. Dymond (1885): "if you give a man a fish, he is hungry again in an hour. If you teach him to catch a fish, you do him a good turn."
No matter where it comes from, this wisdom is as true today as it was centuries ago. Fishing is not just a sport or hobby - it's a way of life. And there's nothing more satisfying than being able to feed yourself (and your family) with the fruits of your labor.
We hope you enjoyed our collection of fishing quotes! Do you have a favorite that we didn't include? Let us know in the comments below. And be sure to check back next week for our next installment of quotes of the week. Until then, happy fishing!
MORE FISHING TIPS FOR ST. PETERSBURG, FLORIDA
- How to Read a Tide Chart for Fishing and Boating
- How to Store Your Fish After Catching It
- The Best Natural Springs and Lakes Near St Petersburg
- Florida Saltwater Fishing Regulations 2023: What You Need to Know
- Saltwater Fishing: 9 Useful Fishing Tips For Beginners
- Fishing Licenses and Permits in St Petersburg, Florida
- How to Prevent Sea Sickness while Fishing
- Weird Fish Caught in the Ocean
- The Best Places to Fish in Florida: A Comprehensive Guide
- St Petersburg, Florida Deep Sea Fishing in the Winter
- How to Set Up Fishing Rod: A Beginners Guide
- 13 Fishing Tips on How to Get Ready for Your Deep Sea Fishing Charter
- All About Illegal Fishing Charters and Tours